Tuesday, January 21, 2020

REMEMBRANCE TOUR #storygramtours #ritawoods @forgebooks


FORGE BOOKS

PUB DATE: 21st January 2020

416 pages


SYNOPSIS:


Remembrance by Rita Woods is a breakout historical debut with modern resonance, perfect for the many fans of The Underground Railroad and Orphan Train.

Remembrance…It’s a rumor, a whisper passed in the fields and veiled behind sheets of laundry. A hidden stop on the underground road to freedom, a safe haven protected by more than secrecy…if you can make it there.

Ohio, present day. An elderly woman who is more than she seems warns against rising racism as a young woman grapples with her life.
Haiti, 1791, on the brink of revolution. When the slave Abigail is forced from her children to take her mistress to safety, she discovers New Orleans has its own powers.
1857 New Orleansa city of unrest: Following tragedy, house girl Margot is sold just before her 18th birthday and her promised freedom. Desperate, she escapes and chases a whisper.... Remembrance.
At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.


REVIEW:


Remembrance is an amazing debut novel that is told in multiple timelines and narratives that has a magical and fantastical twist. I enjoyed reading about this complex story that is weaved seamlessly. Rita Woods’ writing was complex with multiple plot lines and her writing was meaningful and deep. Her creativity and gripping story really caught my attention and interest. Addressed in the story were themes such as slavery, colonialism and racism. Though laws have been passed to end slavery, we know that it still permeated society in many levels many years after. Slavery in different forms continued as part of our country’s blemished past. I am grateful to have read this book by #ownvoices author and highlighted strong women, each with their own narrative. Wood never shied from asking questions, and delivered through this novel, a powerful read. I highly recommend this book.


AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT:




I was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan, a product of Catholic schools from 1st to 12th grade. I started writing stories from the time I was a little girl. Usually melodramatic dystopian tales featuring a shy, tortured girl left orphaned in the world. Luckily, my play list has gotten a tiny bit broader. I always wanted to be a writer but my parents were convinced that smart, black girls got REAL jobs: doctor, lawyer, teacher, architect. And besides, they said, I could write in my 'spare time'.
I graduated Howard Medical School and spent more than thirty years practicing medicine and raising my sons, managing to eke out the occasional short story or medical article for various journals. I am now the Medical Director of a Wellness center outside Chicago where I also live with a houseful of cats, chickens, one husband and a young child and mange to eke out the occasional novel.



No comments:

Post a Comment

12/5/2022 WITCHA GONA DO By Avery Flynn

  Publisher: Berkley (December 6, 2022) An unlucky witch and her know-it-all nemesis must team up in the first of a new, hot romantic comedy...