Monday, August 10, 2020

8/9/20 Life Lessons: She thought she was learning to be a midwife...she was learning to be herself. (The Lessons of a Student Midwife Book 1)



Print Length: 243 pages
Publication Date: July 31, 2020

Life Lessons



For fans of "Call the Midwife", "Hard Pushed" or "This is Going to Hurt".


Life Lessons is a new adult chick-lit medical drama, with splashes of clean romance.
Expect an unputdownable emotional page-turner that will take you deep into the life lessons of a student midwife.

Violet wants to be a midwife, but she has struggled with anxiety throughout her teenage years.



With her best friend Zoe at her side, she gets a place at University and starts training for her dream job.


Can she overcome her fears and find the self-confidence to make it through her first year?

Will Zoe's romance with their housemate spell dating disaster?



Book one of the Lessons of a Student Midwife series.



This book is a prequel to Ghosted, the bestselling novel. 


THOUGHTS/REVIEW:

This book was an amazing read for me that brought me back to my days learning how to be a nurse. As a young woman trying to navigate University, clinicals in the hospital, a new career, and also dealing with all matters of friendship, young love, crushes, and all sorts of adventures and journey of self discovery, this book really resonated with me and brought me all sorts of emotion and nostalgia.

Violet and her journey in becoming a midwife while overcoming her fears, anxieties and developing her confidence was beautifully written by Rowney. I really enjoyed the writing style, the character development, and the subject matter of course was very well researched. I highly recommend this book. What a great easy read and a walk down memory lane to my days in the hospital and college days. This was a fantastic read I really enjoyed. 


Purchase Links - http://mybook.to/lifelessons

Author Bio – 




J.E.Rowney spent several years in the cold Yorkshire hills, which brings the flavour of the moorland countryside into her work. She now lives in Dorset, and the sun and sea are slowly creeping in as influences.

"Charcoal", her first novel, was published in 2012 to wide critical acclaim, and was a bestselling novel across the whole of Amazon within days of release.



Ms Rowney has recently been awarded the Dinesh Allirajah Writing Prize 2020.


Her third novel, "Ghosted", was released in January 2020 and quickly also became a bestseller.


She spends lots of time writing in coffee shops, so if you see her, say hello.

Ms. Rowney says: "I always dreamed of being a writer, until I realised that I was. Then I started to write."

You can find out more about JE Rowney on her website at jerowney.com, or follow @jerowneywriter on social media.

Social Media Links –

Website: http://jerowney.com/

Mailing list http://jerowney.com/join-me

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/jerowneywriter/

https://www.instagram.com/jerowneywriter/?hl=en

https://twitter.com/jerowneywriter?lang=en

https://www.facebook.com/jerowneywriter/ 

EXCERPT

Violet has overcome many obstacles to get her place at University. Ahead of her lie three years of hard work and an ongoing battle with her anxiety. Fortunately, her best friend Zoe will be by her side, helping her through every step of the way.

Just before Violet’s first day at uni, her anxiety threatens to overwhelm her – can she really succeed as a student midwife?

Enjoy this extract from “Life Lessons” by J.E. Rowney. Chick lit with a medical theme.

 

“You’ve wanted this for as long as I have wanted to be a teacher. This has always been our dream. The two of us, here at uni together, working towards our ideal careers. We have done it. Don’t pussy out on me now, Vi.” She gives me a huge smile and pats my back gently. “You’re going to be fine.”

All I can think about is walking into that classroom tomorrow with all the other students, who are all going to be better than I am, in every way. I’m not clever enough, not good enough. I feel like a fraud. Yes, I passed my exams, but it must have been a fluke. There must have been some kind of mistake. I don’t deserve to be here.

My breathing rate has increased again, and Zoe frowns at me.

“Really. Come on. Don’t let your brain do this to you. Don’t let your anxiety spoil this moment for you.” I close my eyes and concentrate on regulating my inhalations, slowing down, exhaling deeply. “That’s it,” she says.

When my parents were fighting, when they divorced, when I had a hopeless crush on the boy I sat next to in maths class, just so I could let him copy off me, when I thought I would never pass my GCSEs, when I thought I shouldn’t have gotten into college, when I split up with Jared, my first boyfriend, my first love, when I was certain that A Level biology was going to destroy me…all of those times and so many more, Zoe was there for me.

I suck breath in so sharply that I feel the kick in the back of my throat.

“That’s it.” She pulls me in towards her and wraps both arms around me in that familiar comforting hug.

“I’m sorry,” I say. “I’m such an idiot.”

“No, no, no,” she says, stroking my hair. “Your brain is an idiot sometimes, that’s all. You’ll show it though. You can do this, and you will do this.”

I wish it was as easy as believing her and believing in myself. It isn’t. The feelings that have been brewing within me will continue to bubble, but I can’t let them take over. Not now.

We sit for a while in a silent embrace. I listen to her heartbeat thud against my ear and feel her warmth. The only sound is our breathing, we don’t need anything else.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

12/5/2022 WITCHA GONA DO By Avery Flynn

  Publisher: Berkley (December 6, 2022) An unlucky witch and her know-it-all nemesis must team up in the first of a new, hot romantic comedy...