Tuesday, February 23, 2021

02.23.2021 THE SUDDEN CAREGIVER - Virtual Book Tour and EXCERPT with Author Interview - Karen Schueler @prbythebook

 


Publisher : Tangible Group (February 1, 2021)
Publication date : February 1, 2021
Language : English

Are you a sudden caregiver? When an unforeseen medical crisis robs someone you love of their health and wellbeing, do you feel caught off guard and ill-prepared for your caregiving role?

Plenty of research confirms what you may already know: caregiving is depleting, worrying, and exhausting, often leading to physical and emotional burnout, fear, and illness.

Yet a growing body of evidence tells us that while caregiving is depleting, it can also be a source of strength, well-being, and purpose.

Caregiving may be inevitable, but caregiver distress is not.

Written by a family caregiver for family caregivers, The Sudden Caregiver: A Roadmap for Resilient Caregiving, will help you to:
Take control of the practical tasks and available resources your circumstances require.
Minimize unpleasant surprises and maximize well-being for you and the person in your care.
Leverage “resilience builders” to protect yourself against stress and replenish your spirit.



“Beautifully written and empirically sound. I can see that it will help many caregivers of all types. I look forward to sharing it with my caregiver networks."
– Dr. Judith Moskowitz, PhD, MPH, Professor, Medical Social Sciences, Northwestern University - Feinberg School of Medicine and President of the International Positive Psychology Association

PLEASE ENJOY AN EXCERPT FROM THE BOOK:

Introducing the Sudden Caregiver

“There are only four kinds of people in the world – those who have  been caregivers, those who are caregivers, those who will be caregivers,  and those who will need caregivers.” Former US First Lady, Rosalynn Carter, from Written Testimony Before the Senate Special Committee on Aging1

This is the moment. I wake up in the middle of the night to the ringing of my mobile in the dark. The standard-issue hotel bedside clock reads 2:04 a.m. I answer the phone with a startled, heart racing, “Sweetie!” In the two decades we’ve been together, Joel has  never called me in the middle of the night when either of us is  on the road. He says, “I’m still at the hospital. They just came in  and told me. I have lung cancer. But it’s in my spine.” I sit up in  bed trying to get my bearings. I have fallen asleep fully clothed, it  seems, propped against the headboard, waiting to hear from Joel  who was in the ER when we last spoke. I was certain that he would  have made it home by now, safely diagnosed with a curative regimen in hand.

 

My laptop, open beside me on the bed, holds an email to my  clients telling them I may have to postpone the meetings we have  scheduled for later in the week, something I have never had to do in  all the years of running my own firm. I have composed the note with much hesitation while waiting for Joel to call. I’d fallen asleep before  hitting send.

 

Over the phone, Joel makes a joke or two about lung cancer, complete with pop-culture references to the TV show Breaking Bad, which  we’ve just binge-watched on Netflix. The running theme of that show is  that a mild-mannered chemistry teacher, Walter White, is told he has  terminal lung cancer. In the aftermath of this diagnosis, Walter White stumbles upon formulating and selling methamphetamine to ensure his family’s financial future. We both laugh.

 

Today, with the arc of his diagnosis to death completed, I recall that I took in and focused on his joking banter more than the part about lung cancer. It seemed so unlikely a diagnosis for my non-smoking, religiously exercising, insistently supplement-taking husband. I was almost dismissive of it. “That’s not possible,” I remember saying. I know I sounded sure. I was sure. This was some kind of false alarm, and I was  so certain of it that I persisted in wondering about whether I really had  to cancel my upcoming meetings. Lung cancer sounded serious but was it an immediate kind of serious? What about the twenty-six people who’d traveled from all over the country to assemble in a workshop I had committed to running that week?

The “C” Card

Murmuring with Joel about it deep into that night, I now realize I was plucking “lung cancer” from the air and turning it into an action item, mentally rank ordering it on my list of priorities in order to minimize it. Did it go at the top: drop all and grab a plane? Or in the middle: finish what you came for then hightail it home? Or perhaps, after all, this belonged at the bottom: we’ve all had bad news, even scary medical news. But it’s never really bad.

 

I wandered in and out of sleeplessness weighing my options and then took the first flight home to Boston. I left messages for colleagues during the cab ride and from my seat on the plane, begging someone to cover the meeting that I had to cancel. I reached one colleague at  that early hour. I heard myself pleading with her when she said she did have that day free but would rather not book it.

 

“But Joel has cancer,” I whispered to her, my face pressed against the plane’s window so that the stranger who was my seatmate would  not hear my desperate whine. That was, officially, the first time I told anyone that Joel had cancer. It felt false, a manipulation, “playing the  ‘C’ card,” as they say. Yet in the next moment the power of its reality overcame me. To my astonishment, I began to cry. Whatever my colleague made of all this, in any case, she didn’t find a way to say yes. This is the moment, the first of many moments, when I knew that life wasn’t going to yield to my well-crafted plans. Welcome to the other side of  the looking glass, the province of the sudden caregiver.

 

On the day before I became a sudden caregiver, I was, first, a mom planning her only daughter’s wedding. I was a consultant designing a leadership program. I was a coach listening for what her client wasn’t saying. And I was a runner, a friend, a business owner, and a consumer of too much Starbucks coffee. I was also a wife checking in with her husband from some six hundred miles away. His ongoing complaints of back pain were steeped now in frustration, which I shared. It sounded to me like the pain was shifting, radiating, deepening. So  I was also, that day, a stern lecturer on the virtues of taking care of oneself, demanding he call our friend, Glenn, to take him to the emergency room so they could fix whatever was wrong once and for all, if it couldn’t wait till I got home.

 

I inhabited all my usual roles that day. Caregiver was not among  them. Then, suddenly, it was.




AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT





AUTHOR Q AND A 


  1. What is your education/career background?

I was naturally oriented toward the humanities: English, literature, languages, art. I got my Bachelor’s degree in English from Rutgers University -- in the first graduating class that included women. I’m a first-generation college grad and the only one in my immediate family to finish college. To put myself through school, as there was no money for college, I worked nights on the college paper, The Daily Targum, which was ahead of its time in that it had begun to install computerized typesetting equipment (the personal computer and Apple Mac were still in the future) and needed a production staff to run it. I needed the money, so I learned to proofread, edit, typeset, and lay out the paper, all skills that got me my first job.

 

I was hired as a technical editor at a New Jersey office of Boston-based Raytheon, right out of school. For reasons I can never fathom, my Raytheon bosses agreed to relocate me from South Jersey to Boston when our contract ended, where I became a technical writer, and was, therefore, making my living at writing. Something about my approach to writing – writing for the person who would read and use the tech doc rather than the engineer who designed the software -- landed me in marketing at the start of the software wave in Boston. I spent most of my corporate career in high tech marketing, culminating in being a VP of Marketing for a venture capital firm in Boston.

 

That’s where I was working on 9/11. It’s another long story, but I was out of the country on 9/11 and the US airspace was closed. I thought, “If this is the end of the world, this is not the job I want to be doing.” I quit shortly after, enrolled in the best coaching program in the country, got certified, started my company, Tangible Group, in 2002, and I’ve been an executive coach ever since. I’ve never looked back.

 

One day, somewhere along the way, I read a book by a man named Martin Seligman called Learned Optimism. At that time, I was a struggling single mom with a high-pressure job and no money. That book completely changed my lens on life. When I learned that Seligman had started a graduate program at the University of Pennsylvania, I got accepted and in 2013, I received my Master’s degree in Applied Positive Psychology (MAPP). Little did I know that within a year of receiving my degree, I would be called upon to apply the tenets of positive psychology in my own world, when my husband was diagnosed out of the blue with stage IV cancer and I became his sudden caregiver.

2. What inspired your story?

My own lived experience as a caregiver. I kept a daily journal from the time of my husband’s diagnosis well beyond the first year after his death. I was and am inspired to help other caregivers, everywhere. There are 45 million in the US alone. How can I hold a light up for them on the path that I just traveled?


Social media:

https://www.thesuddencaregiver.com/

https://www.TangibleGroup.com/

https://www.facebook.com/suddencaregiver

https://www.linkedin.com/in/karenwarnertangible/

#suddencaregiver

 

Buy links:

Amazon: 

https://www.amazon.com/Sudden-Caregiver-Roadmap-Resilient-Caregiving-ebook/dp/B08VQSP3XL/ref=sr_1_1?crid=314XSADQKNDRK&dchild=1&keywords=the+sudden+caregiver+a+roadmap+for+resilient+caregiving&qid=1612926292&sprefix=the+sudden+caregiver%3A+a+r%2Caps%2C812&sr=8-1

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

12/5/2022 WITCHA GONA DO By Avery Flynn

  Publisher: Berkley (December 6, 2022) An unlucky witch and her know-it-all nemesis must team up in the first of a new, hot romantic comedy...