Saturday, February 15, 2020

2/15/20 DON'T PUT THE BOATS AWAY BY AMES SHELDON HOSTED BY @SUZYAPPROVEDBOOKTOURS



Paperback, 300 pages
Published August 27th 2019 by She Writes Press

In the aftermath of World War II, the members of the Sutton family are reeling from the death of their “golden boy,” Eddie. Over the next twenty-five years, they all struggle with loss, grief, and mourning. Daughter Harriet and son Nat attempt to fill the void Eddie left behind: Harriet becomes a chemist despite an inhospitable culture for career women in the 1940s and ’50s, hoping to move into the family business in New Jersey, while Nat aims to be a jazz musician. Both fight with their autocratic father, George, over their professional ambitions as they come of age. Their mother, Eleanor, who has PTSD as a result of driving an ambulance during the Great War, wrestles with guilt over never telling Eddie about the horrors of war before he enlisted. As the members of the family attempt to rebuild their lives, they pay high prices, including divorce and alcoholism—but in the end, they all make peace with their losses, each in his or her own way.

THOUGHTS/REVIEW:

I enjoyed reading this post WWII family story that spans a few decades. Though the story is focused on the Sutton family, the story immersed the reader into an amazing well researched historical read on the medical advancements, political highlights, and the struggles of women in professional roles throughout the decades. This is Ames Sheldon’s follow up to the first novel, Eleanor’s Wars – though this book worked as a great stand alone that continued to follow the development of the Sutton family. I loved that the writing incorporated the cultural changes happening in the country and how it is affecting the lives of our protagonists as it makes their problem relatable and believable. What is really beautiful about the writing is that it did not shy on touching upon complex themes and issues. I loved that it brought the family to a seamless resolution in the end. What a well written story that I enjoyed reading.


AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT:






At the age of nine while reading Stuart Little, I realized I wanted to be a writer, so I started writing stories. Many stories and poems later, I helped write and edit the ground-breaking WOMEN'S HISTORY SOURCES:A GUIDE TO ARCHIVES AND MANUSCRIPT COLLECTIONS IN THE UNITED STATES (R.R. Bowker, 1979). In the process of working on this monumental reference book, I discovered my love for women's history and using primary sources for research.

My novels ELEANOR'S WARS AND DON'T PUT THE BOATS AWAY reflect my fascination with the history of women in the U.S.

I have worked as a reporter for two small town newspapers and as a publicist for an auto salvage yard and an aluminum recycling business. Then I ventured into the area of creative nonfiction, writing grant proposals, reports, and solicitations for the Sierra Club, the University of St.Thomas, the Minnesota Historical Society, the University of Minnesota, and the Minneapolis Public Library.

Born and raised in Minneapolis, I have lived in Philadelphia, Boston, and San Francisco. Now I make my home in Eden Prairie, Minnesota with my husband.



http://amessheldon.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment

12/5/2022 WITCHA GONA DO By Avery Flynn

  Publisher: Berkley (December 6, 2022) An unlucky witch and her know-it-all nemesis must team up in the first of a new, hot romantic comedy...