Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Book Review: FRANKLY IN LOVE
TITLE: Frankly In Love
GENRE: Contemporary YA
PUBLISHER: Penguin Teen
PUB DATE: 9/10/2019
AUTHOR: David Yoon (Debut)

SYNOPSIS: Frank Li  is a Korean-American senior in High School  from Southern California. As a teen he is still struggling to find his true identity and somehow the truth is in between. His parents are very traditional, owns a small grocery store, speaks broken English and expects their children to be fully immersed in Korean culture while also living in America, and not teaching the children to speak the language. There is yet another complication; his parents have one rule when it comes to falling in love and that has to be a Korean girl. What happens when Frank falls in love with his AP Calculus classmate Brit Means, who is White. Problem solved! Joy Song a childhood friend is in the same predicament and is in love with a Chinese boy.  They devise a plan to date fake and the hilarious situation they have place themselves and what they learn throughout the way makes this read amazing!

THOUGHTS: Frankly, I am in love with David Yoon’s debut novel!!
This book is an anthem for any of us remembering or currently going through living in a household where there is a generational, cultural or communication gap. Though the Korean culture is the focus in this book, I find that everyone has something they can relate about. This book is for any of us who have lived through parents that have their own set of beliefs and are extremely unaccepting to other cultures other than their own. This is me reliving my most memorable decade of my living existence. Frankly, this was my life too!
Frankly In Love  beautifully addressed issues of first loves, love of parent and family, grief over loss, acceptance and understanding each others’ differences. The relationship between Frank and his family especially with his father had me in tears. Frank and the store, Frank and his really smart friends especially his best friend Q, and Frank with his first loves Brit and Joy, are what makes this book so amazing and truly enjoyable.
This read gave me a lot of laugh out loud and unforgettable moments that kept me glued to this book no matter what, for the days I was devouring this! I was yelling “YES!”, slapping my hands on the table, shaking the book, and texting my friends and family about some of the situations described in the book. Every page is just as exciting as the next.
The book explored and did try to attempt to be inclusive of races - learned lots of Korean quirks. But I have always been fascinated with the Korean culture so much living in Los Angeles, being first introduced to the cuisine, Kdrama, Kpop, that I even made the decision to go to Seoul and Busan for our family’s spring break trip (BTS had nothing to do with it). So when this book came across my radar I knew I had to read this.
This book checks all the boxes for what makes an exceptional Contemporary YA novel and I am not surprised at all that this book will be picked up as a movie. This book just reinforced my love for the YA genre and this book was not short in giving a brilliant exploration to growing up as a teen in America.Thank you @Davidoftheyoon for an amazing and brilliant novel.
Thank you PenguinTeen for the ARC copy of this amazing book for an opportunity to read and review.

RATING 5/5 



Find him at: www.davidyoon.com
I’m David Yoon. I’m a writer. My debut novel is Frankly In Love. In August 2019 Entertainment Weekly called me "YA's Next Superstar,” which is a little dramatic to say the least. I live in Los Angeles with my brilliant author wife Nicola Yoon and our daughter.I invented the Sorta Notebinder, because I am a big office stationery nerd.

1 comment:

12/5/2022 WITCHA GONA DO By Avery Flynn

  Publisher: Berkley (December 6, 2022) An unlucky witch and her know-it-all nemesis must team up in the first of a new, hot romantic comedy...